Daily Current Affairs - 11th Mar 2020
Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in country for overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan
- According to the report of NITI Aayog, “Transforming Nutrition in India: POSHAN Abhiyaan”. Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in the country for the overall implementation of POSHAN (Prime Minister’s Overreaching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) Abhiyaan. Tamil Nadu tops the list of the states in terms of the number of participants in the programme.
- The goals of Poshan Abhiyan are to achieve improvement in Nutritional status of children from 0-6 years, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers in a time bound manner.
Corona Virus hits Diamond Industry of Surat greatly
- Workers in Diamond Industry of India, especially in the parts of Surat have been facing job losses and pay cuts as Corona Virus has hit exports to China. China is the biggest market of precious stones and since February China is terribly affected with Corona Virus.
- The industry employs 1.5 million people. The Gem and Jewelery Export Promotion Council predicts that Indian Gem Industry is to lose 1 billion USD of exports due to Corona Virus.
- India is the largest exporter of Gems in the world. The Gems industry plays a vital role in Indian Economy. The industry contributes 7% of GDP of the country.
Discovery of bi-luminescent security ink to curb fake printing of currency notes and passports
- The Indian scientists have developed a special safety ink that can help in counterfeiting documents such as passports, packing fake medicines and counterfeiting currency notes. This ink shows two colours when exposed to the light of a certain frequency.
- It has been developed by scientists from the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi and the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, Ghaziabad.
FDI inflows are to drop by 15% due to Corona Virus
- The United Nations Conference on Trade, Investment and Development has warned that the Foreign Direct Investment flows all over the world will reduce by 15% due to Corona Virus. According to the organization, the outbreak could cost 2 trillion USD to the global economy.
- The United Nations earlier pointed out that the growth of the global economy will be slow between 0.5% and 1.5% for the year 2020-21. With the spread of the virus, the organization has predicted further decline in the economic growth.
Govt Sets up a committee on Kisan Rail
- The Government has set up a committee to work out modalities of Kisan Rail. It comprises of representatives of Agriculture and Railway ministries.
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said, the committee will also look into cold supply chain for perishables by starting the express and freight trains with refrigerated coaches.
- The Minister said, Railways is planning for installation of solar panels on un-utilized railway land for meeting its energy needs for both traction and non-traction purposes.
Govt suspends e-visa and existing visa's for France, Germany, Spain
- The government has asked people to refrain from travelling to China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan, France, Spain and Germany.
- Issuing additional travel advisory in view of the Novel Corona virus, the Health Ministry advised them to avoid non-essential travel abroad.
- Regular visas including e-Visas granted to all foreign nationals who have travel history to these countries on or after 1st of February and who have not yet entered India also stand suspended.
- The advisory further said that all incoming international passengers returning to India should self-monitor their health and follow required Do’s and Dont’s. Besides, all passengers having travel history to China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Thailand, Singapore, Iran, Malaysia, France, Spain and Germany are advised to undergo self-imposed quarantine for a period of 14 days from the date of their arrival.
Joy Bangla to be national slogan of Bangladesh
- The High Court of Bangladesh has ordered that ‘Joy Bangla’ will be the national slogan of Bangladesh.
- The two-judge bench of High Court asked the authorities to take necessary steps so that all the people holding constitutional posts and state officials use ‘Joy Bangla’ after their speeches on national days and other appropriate occasions.
- ‘Joy Bangla’ was the main slogan during the liberation war of Bangladesh fought against Pakistan in 1971. The first President of Bangladesh Sheikh Mujibur Rahman also used ‘Joy Bangla’ in his speeches and specially during his historic 7th March speech in 1971 declaring the goal of independence for Bangladesh.
March 10: CISF Raising Day
- Every year, the Central Industrial Security Force Raising Day is celebrated on March 10. The CISF works under Ministry of Home Affairs. It was set up in 1969 under the CISF act, 1968 passed in Parliament of India. Though established in 1969, the CISF was made an armed force in 1983.
- The CISF officials guard industrial units and infrastructure projects all over the country. It provides protection to atomic power plants, major ports, mines, refineries, oil fields, airports and hydroelectric and thermal power plants. They also provide consultancy services to private firms and other organizations all over the world.
Mohun Bagan are the Hero I-League Champions 2019-2020
- Indian football heavyweights Mohun Bagan clinched their second I-League title with a 1-0 win over Aizawl FC at Kalyani, West Bengal. Their first I-League title came in 2014-15 season.
- Senegalese striker Baba Diawara scored the all-important goal for Mohun Bagan in the 80th minute.
- With this win, Mohun Bagan have 39 points from 16 matches. This put Bagan 16 points ahead of second-placed East Bengal who cannot catch up their arch city rivals even if they win all their four remaining matches. Bagan lifted the title even when four rounds are still to go in the season.
Mukesh Ambani lost Asia wealth crown to Jack Ma in $5.8-billion rout
- Indian energy tycoon Mukesh Ambani is no longer Asia’s richest man, relinquishing the title to Jack Ma after oil prices collapsed along with global stocks.
- The rout, exacerbated by mounting fears that the spread of the novel coronavirus will thrust the world into a recession, erased $5.8 billion from Ambani’s net worth and pushed him to No. 2 on the list of Asia’s richest people, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- Ma, the Alibaba Group Holding founder, who ceded the No. 1 ranking in mid-2018, is back on top with a $44.5 billion fortune, about $2.6 billion more than Ambani.
National Conference on Women in Police and CAPFs held in New Delhi
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurated the “National Conference on Women in Police and CAPFs (Central Armed Police Forces)” in New Delhi. The Conference was organized by the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR & D). Smriti Irani also released a hand-out- ‘BPR & D Mirror- Gender Bender’ and also the book titled “To Greater Heights”.
- The main objective of the National Conference was to discuss and deliberate on the themes ‘Cyber Stalking and Bullying of Women: Steps for Protection’ and ‘Challenges faced by CAPF Women in Operational Areas’.
Nupur Kulshrestha becomes the first woman to be promoted as DIG of Indian Coast Guard.
- Nupur Kulshrestha becomes the first woman to be promoted as Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Indian Coast Guard. She joined Indian Coast Guard in 1999. The Indian Coast Guard is a multi-mission organization, conducting round-the-year real-life operations at sea.
- The Indian Coast Guard was formally established on 18 August 1978 by the Coast Guard Act, 1978 of the Parliament of India as an independent Armed force of India. It operates under the Ministry of Defence.
Punjab government launches coronavirus application
- To sensitise people about coronavirus, Punjab government has launched 'Cova Punjab' mobile application.
- The app has been developed by the department of government reforms and public grievances in consultation with the health and family welfare department to spread awareness by sharing various travelling and preventive care advisories.
- The application provides options to citizens to check symptoms as provided by the government from time to time and follow the advisory given thereafter. The app also suggests the nearest hospital and nodal officer of district where the citizen can reach in-case he is corona symptomatic.
Telangana agri varsity VC V Praveen Rao wins MS Swaminathan Award
- Professor Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University Vice-Chancellor V Praveen Rao has won the 7th Dr MS Swaminathan Award for the period 2017-2019. The Selection Committee has decided to select Praveen Rao for the award recognising his contributions in the fields of agricultural research, teaching, extension and administration. Praveen Rao handled 13 research & 6 consultancy projects on micro-irrigation in India, Israel and South Africa.
- The MS Swaminathan award was constituted by Retired ICAR Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds Limited (NSL).
Turkey announces first Corona virus case
- Turkey announced yesterday its first Corona virus case, a man who had recently travelled to Europe and is in good health. Turkey's Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said in a television broadcast that the test of a patient suspected of carrying the Corona virus returned positive
- Turkey has announced several measures in recent weeks to try and stop the virus reaching the country, including thermal cameras at airports, cancelling flights to affected countries and closing its border with Iran. Hospitals in Istanbul and the capital Ankara have been set up to test and quarantine patients suspected of having the virus.
UK Health Minister Nadine Dorries tests positive for Corona virus
- British Minister in the Health Department Nadine Dorries has tested positive for Corona virus. In a statement issued, the Conservative MP said that she has tested positive for Corona virus and has been self-isolating at home.
- Ms Dorries, who helped draft the legislation to fight the bug, is the first British politician to be diagnosed with COVID-19, raising immediate concern about whether she has spread the infection.
UN Security Council unanimously approves US Taliban peace agreement
- United Nations Security Council has unanimously approved a United States' resolution on the recent deal between the US and the Afghan Taliban, a rare endorsement of an agreement with a militant group. The US military has begun withdrawing troops as part of the pullout agreed in the February 29 pact with the Taliban.
- In the resolution, the Security Council urged the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan to advance the peace process, including by participating in intra-Afghan negotiations through a diverse and inclusive negotiating team composed of Afghan political and civil society leaders, including women.
Unhappy Sikkim govt. ends 5-day working week
- Not happy with the performance of the employees, the Sikkim government has withdrawn the five-day working week system and declared that they will get holidays only on second and fourth Saturdays. The new system will be effective from April 1, according to a notification.
- After coming to power in May last, Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang introduced the five-day week for both the State government and the public sector units.
‘Hindu adoption not valid without consent from wife’
- A Hindu adoption is not valid unless the man takes prior consent from his wife and there is a “ceremony of giving and taking in adoption,” the Supreme Court has held.
- A Bench led by Justice L. Nageswara Rao said the mandate of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act of 1956 was that no adoption was valid unless the two essential conditions of the consent of the wife and the actual ceremony of adoption were established.