Daily Current Affairs - 14th Jun 2020
Actor Pankaj Tripathi became the brand ambassador of Bihar Khadi
- Pankaj Tripathi, Bollywood Actor, was appointed as the brand ambassador of Bihar’s Khadi by the Government of Bihar.He will promote the usage of Khadi product as well as the Patna’s Khadi Mall.
- The Khadi Mall in Patna is India’s first ever Kadhi mall & it was inaugurated by Nitish Kumra, Chief Minister of Bihar in November 2019.
Central Railways launches robotic 'Captain Arjun' for screening of passengers for COVID-19 and surveillance in Pune
- An Artificial Intelligence enabled robot “CAPTAIN ARJUN” has been launched by the Indian Railways’ Central Railway zone. The AI robot has been launched to intensify the screening of passengers and surveillance to keep a watch on anti-social elements.
- The above objectives will be achieved with the help of motion sensor, one PTZ camera and one Dome Camera installed on the robot. It also comprises sensor-based sanitizer as well as mask dispenser.
DRDO developed ‘GermiKlean’ to sanitise uniforms of police and security personnel
- The Defence Research and Development Organization has developed ‘GermiKlean’. GermiKlean is a sanitising chamber that can be used to sanitise uniforms of security and police personnel.
- The DRDO developed the sanitizing chamber after the Delhi Police raised their requirement of sanitizing their helmets, uniforms, cane shields, etc.
- GermiKlean is capable of sanitizing 25 pairs of uniforms within 15 minutes using dry heat treatment.
Exim Bank extends $215 million line of credit to Malawi
- Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank) has provided a line of credit (LOC) of $215.68 million to the Malawi government for drinking water supply schemes and other development projects includes supply of irrigation network, tobacco threshing plant, cotton processing facilities and construction of a new water supply system from Likhubula river in Mulanje to Blantyre.
- With the signing of the above LOC Agreement, five loan facilities worth $ 395.68 million have been provided by the Exim Bank to the Government of Malawi so far.
Former Bangladesh Minister Mohammad Nasim passes away at 72
- Former Bangladesh Minister and Awami League Presidium member Mohammad Nasim passed away in Dhaka.. He was 72. He had suffered a stroke on June 1 and was also found Corona positive initially.
- PM Sheikh Hasina condoled the death of Mohammad Nasim.
IIT Kharagpur have developed an Artificial Intelligence based Social-Distancing Monitor
- The Researchers of IIT Kharagpur have developed an Artificial Intelligence based cyber-physical system to monitor social distancing in public places.
- The device captures field view and computes distances according to the criteria set by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The researchers of the institute have designed the device using inexpensive and easily accessible hardware materials.
Imtaiyazur Rahman is appointed as the CEO of UTI Mutual Fund
- UTI Mutual Fund has appointed Imtaiyazur Rahman as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Earlier Rahman was serving as the acting Chief Executive Officer of the UTI Mutual Funds. He joined the UTI Group in 1998 and is with the AMC since 2003.
- Two years after appointing Imtaiyazur Rahman as the acting CEO, the Board of UTI Mutual Fund has confirmed him as Chief Executive Officer of UTI Asset Management Committee.
Jammu and Kashmir launches J&K Poultry Policy 2020
- The Government of Jammu and Kashmir recently launched the Poultry Policy, 2020. The Government has provided operational guidelines under the policy to promote establishment of poultry units.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Government has announced Rs 50 crores of subsidy per annum to establish broiler farms and its allied activities. The policy aims to generate employment in the territory.
MP govt gives 'corona warriors' status to Divyang Anganwadi workers
- Madhya Pradesh government gives ‘corona warriors’ status to Divyang Anganwadi workers. These divyang Anganwadi workers are playing an important role in the state during the ongoing Corona crisis.
- They are distributing nutritious food from house to house of the beneficiaries. They are also advising people to avoid corona infection.
Odisha Becomes First State to Get ISO Certification for Tribal Hostels
- Odisha has become the first state in the country to receive ISO certification for hostels meant for tribal students. The ST & SC Welfare Department has launched the ‘Mission Suvidya’ project to provide all the tribal hostels of the state uniform standards of infrastructure, amenities and human resources.
- Mission Suvidya has launched in December 2019, it aims to improve the quality of basic facilities in the SC (Scheduled Castes) and ST (Scheduled Tribes) hostels like safe building, functional toilets, safe drinking water, proper kitchen and dining, safety, security, health, hygiene and food provisions for students.
Panel formed by Delhi LG to advise Delhi Disaster Management Authority
- The Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal has formed an Expert Advisory Committee to advise the Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA).
- The committee has been formed to address the challenges faced in Delhi and also ramp up medical infrastructure. The Director General of ICMR, director of AIIMS are all part of the committee.
- Under Section 14 of Disaster Management Act, 2005, the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi is the Chairperson of Delhi Disaster Management Authority and the CM of Delhi is the Vice-Chairperson of the authority.
RBI sets up P K Mohanty Panel to Review Ownership of Private Banks
- The Reserve Bank of India has constituted an internal working group. The working group is to review guidelines of ownership of private sector banks. The panel constituted by the apex bank is to examine regulations to hold financial subsidiaries through non-operative financial holding company.
- The Group will also study the current regulations to hold financial subsidiaries through NOFHC (Non-Operative Financial Holding Company). It will also make recommendations to migrate all the banks towards a uniform regulation.
Uddhav Thackeray unveils Mumbai’s new flood warning system, calls it a boon
- The Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Uddhav Thackeray and Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Science & Technology, Earth Sciences Dr Harsh Vardhan jointly launched the state-of-the-art Integrated Flood Warning System (I-FLOWS) – Mumbai
- The system monitors the flood activities by providing early warning in the city during high rainfall and cyclone events by as early as 3 days in advance.
- It was developed by India Meteorological Department (IMD) and Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) functioning under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
Vasant Raiji, world's oldest first class cricketer, passes away at age of 100
- India’s oldest First Class cricketer Vasant Raiji passed away at the age of 100. He was a right-handed batsman and played nine First-Class games in the 1940s and scored 277 runs.
- He made his first appearance for Bombay in 1941 under Vijay Merchant, against Western Provinces, at Nagpur.
- The cricketer-historian was also a founding member of Jolly Cricket Club in Mumbai.
World Blood Donor Day: 14th June
- World blood donor day is observed globally on June 14th every year. This day is celebrated to create that awareness and make people understand how crucial it is to donate blood.
- The campaign theme for this year’s World donor Day is “Safe blood saves lives” with the slogan “Give blood and make the world a healthier place”.
“Ghar Ghar Nigrani” Mobile Application launched by Punjab Government
- The Punjab Government has launched “Ghar Ghar Nigrani” mobile application to undertake house to house surveillance to eliminate COVID-19 pandemic.
- The application is to be used as a tool for early detection and testing of COVID-19 and prevent community spread. With the help of the application, the Punjab Government is to cover all the persons that are below the age of 30 years. The survey will cover persons that have influenza like illness.