Daily Current Affairs - 10th Aug 2020
12 Islands of Andaman and Nicobar chosen for expansion of high impact projects, says Prime Minister
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said 12 islands of Andaman and Nicobar have been chosen for the expansion of high impact projects. Mr Modi said in Andaman and Nicobar, the government is going to lay emphasis on industries related to sea-food, organic products and coconut-based products.
- He will launch Under sea Optical Fiber Cable (OFC) between Chennai and Port Blair. This cable project runs 2313 kilometre under-sea between Chennai and Portblair at the cost of rupees 1,224 Crore. Seven islands of Andaman and Nicobar islands other than Portblair are connected namely Swaraj Dweep, Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island, and Rangat. This will boost digital services like tele-education, tele-health, e-governance services and toursim on the island.
Brazil’s COVID-19 death toll crosses one lakh mark
- Brazil surpassed a grim milestone of 100,000 deaths from COVID-19 on Saturday night, and five months after the first reported case the country has not shown signs of crushing the disease. The nation of 210 million people has been reporting an average of more than 1,000 daily deaths from the pandemic since late May and reported 905 for the latest 24-hour period.
DCB Bank Q1 net profit at Rs.79.38 crore
- Private sector DCB Bank reported a 2.07 per cent drop in its net profit to Rs.79.38 crore for the first quarter of the fiscal as against Rs.81.06 crore a year ago.However, its non performing assets surged to Rs.621.79 crore in the quarter ended June 30 or 2.44 per cent of gross advances as against Rs.476.40 crore a year ago. Net NPAs stood at 0.99 per cent of net advances as against 0.81 per cent a year ago.
Ding stuns Carlsen
- A composed Ding Liren produced a late masterclass to stun Magnus Carlsen, after an alert Daniil Dubov punished Hikaru Nakamura in just 17 moves, in the opening game of the first set of semifinals of the $300,000 Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour Finals on Sunday.
Flood situation improves as rivers recede in Bangladesh
- The flood situation in Bangladesh has improved as most of the rivers are receding across all the four major river basins in the country. Northern and Central parts of Bangladesh have been severely affected by the ongoing floods.
- According to the latest bulletin issued by the Flood Forecast and Warning Centre (FFWC) on Sunday, only five rivers in the country were flowing above danger level. In the Brahmaputra river basin, all the rivers showed a decline in the water level though some rivers including Gur, Atari, Dhaleswari, Kaliganga and Banshi are still running above the danger level at several observation points.
Health Ministry's tele-medicine platform provides over 1.5 lakh online consultations
- Health ministry’s initiative eSanjeevani OPD, a telemedicine service, has registered one lakh 58 thousand online consultations. Health and family welfare minister Harsh Vardhan said, since last November, 23 states have launched the services covering 75 per cent of the country’s population, while others are in the process of rolling it out.
- The eSanjeevani platform has enabled two types of tele-consultations-doctor-to-doctor (eSanjeevani) and patient-to-doctor (eSanjeevani OPD). eSanjeevani is being implemented under the Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centre (AB-HWCs) programme. It seeks to connect all 150,000 Health and wellness centres using the hub-and-spoke model by December 2022.
- So far, 12,000 health professionals, including 2,800 doctors, have been trained to offer consultations on the national e-platform through over 3,000 HWCs across 10 states.
LIC launches special campaign for revival of lapsed policies
- To encourage continuation of risk cover in this difficult period, insurance behemoth LIC said it will provide an opportunity for its policyholders to revive their lapsed policies. It has decided to launch a special revival campaign from August 10 till October 9 for its customers to revive their individual lapsed LIC policies. Under this Special Revival Campaign, it said, policies of specific eligible plans can be revived within five years from date of the first unpaid premium subject to certain terms and conditions.
- The policyholders will get 20 per cent late fee concession for revival while 25 per cent concession between Rs 1 lakh and Rs 3 lakh, it said.
Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for fourth time
- Mahinda Rajapaksa took oath as the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for the fourth time . He was administered the oath by his younger brother and President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. Other cabinet members will be sworn in next week at a ceremony in Kandy.
- Mahinda Rajapaksa has served as country’s President from 2006 to 2015 and his party has got landslide victory at general elections held on Wednesday.
- Mr. Rajapaksa is credited with ending the decades long LTTE war in 2009 during his Presidency. He had lost the 2015 Presidential elections and has made a strong political comeback.
Manitombi Singh passes away
- Former India footballer Manitombi Singh died in Imphal after long illness on Sunday. He was 39. Manitombi was a defender who could play right back, centre-back and left back. He played for Mohun Bagan and was part of the Hindustan FC team that won the Delhi Soccer Association league title in 2010.
Messi inspires Barcelona into last eight
- A fired-up Lionel Messi led Barcelona to a 3-1 win at home to Napoli for a 4-2 aggregate victory which took the club into the Champions League quarterfinals for the 13th consecutive season, where it will face Bayern Munich.
Mukesh Ambani moves up to fourth rank in global rich list
- Reliance Industries' chairman, Mukesh Ambani, is now the fourth richest person in the world, according to news agency Bloomberg. With a total net worth of $80.6 billion, Mukesh Ambani was ranked fourth in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Mr Ambani was behind Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos (whose net worth was at $187 billion), Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates ($121 billion) and Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg ($102 billion).
Piyush Goyal calls upon more buyers and sellers to join GeM
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal has called upon more and more buyers and sellers to join the Government e Marketplace [GeM]. He was speaking at the inauguration of the Fourth edition of the National Public Procurement Conclave, organized by GeM in association with CII.
- At the same time, he also cautioned the unscrupulous sellers from pushing poor quality goods or charging exorbitant prices, as they will not only be blacklisted from the GeM portal but from the entire Government ecosystem.
Rajnath Singh to launch ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah
- Defence minister Rajnath Singh will launch the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah’ (self-reliant India week, in keeping with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision for a self-dependent India with increased local manufacturing.
- Earlier on Sunday, Singh announced that India will stop the import of 101 weapons and military platforms like transport aircraft, light combat helicopters, conventional submarines, cruise missiles among others on a staggered basis till 2024. The move is meant to give an impetus to domestic defence production.
Ranji Trophy set to begin on December 13
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is contemplating a curtailed domestic season from November 19, 2020, to March 10, 2021, by staging only the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and the Ranji Trophy. The Ranji Trophy is likely to start on December 13 with the league stage proposed to be a five-group affair. There will be four groups of eight teams each and a plate group featuring the six new sides from the north-east. While the top two teams from each of the first three groups will qualify for the knockouts, the remaining two knockouts qualifiers will be decided through a complex qualification formula.
Trump signs order extending virus relief
- US President Donald Trump has signed a series of executive orders expanding coronavirus economic relief to Americans struggling during the pandemic. The president’s four orders extend unemployment benefits, provide a payroll tax holiday, defer student loan payments through 2020 and extend the federal moratorium on evictions.