Daily Current Affairs - 11th Aug 2020
Axis Bank raises Rs.10,000 crore through QIP
- Private lender Axis Bank raised Rs 10,000 crore via Qualified Institutions Placement (QIP) issue on August 10. The bank had announced the opening of its QIP last week to raise funds to enhance its capital adequacy in accordance with regulatory requirements, its growth strategy, addressing risks emanating from the COVID-19 pandemic and for general corporate purposes.
Bank of Baroda posts net loss of Rs.864 crore in Q1
- Public sector lender Bank of Baroda posted a net loss of Rs 864.3 crore for the June quarter 2020 due to provisioning on standard accounts. The bank's profit was at Rs 709.6 crore in the corresponding period last fiscal. Net interest income during the quarter grew by 4.9 percent to Rs 6,816.1 crore, compared to Rs 6,496 crore in the same period last year.
BCCI gets govt. nod to stage IPL in UAE
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has received the Central government’s nod to stage the Indian Premier League (IPL) in the United Arab Emirates this year, with the formal approval coming on Monday. The 2020 edition of the T20 league will run from September 19 to November 10.
Centre’s nod for National Institute of Virology unit in Punjab
- The central government has given in-principle approval for setting up a National Institute of Virology Centre for the north zone in Punjab. Chief Minister Amarinder Singh had written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 10 requesting him to ask the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to set up the proposed centre, which would focus on addressing regional, national and global needs in virology, diagnostic, research and therapeutic evaluations to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches various initiatives of DPSUs & OFB through digital link
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched the initiatives of a number of modernisation and up-gradation of facilities as also new infrastructure creation by Defence Public Sector Undertakings, DPSUs and Ordnance Factory Board OFB through digital link in New Delhi.
- The initiave was part of the of the Atmanirbhar Week celebration of the Ministry of Defence.
EPFO ensures hassle free service delivery through UMANG app during COVID-19 pandemic
- Employees' Provident Fund Organisation, EPFO has ensured hassle free service delivery through UMANG app during COVID-19 pandemic. Labour and Employment Ministry said, presently a PF member can access 16 different services of EPFO on their mobile phone using the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance, UMANG App.
- The Ministry said, on UMANG app a member can raise claim, track claim and know the status of claim raised. During the COVID-19 pandemic period from April to July, a total of over 11 lakh claims were filed online through UMANG App.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates NIP Online Dashboard
- Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has inaugurated the National Infrastructure Pipeline, NIP, Online Dashboard in New Delhi through video conferencing. The online dashboard is envisaged as a one stop solution for all stakeholders looking for information on infrastructure projects in New India.
- The dashboard is being hosted on the India Investment Grid, IIG www.indiainvestmentgrid.gov.in. IIG is an interactive and dynamic online platform that showcases `` 1 real-time investment opportunities in the country.
Former Sri Lanka PM Ranil Wickremsinghe decides to step down as leader of UNP
- Former Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremsinghe has decided to step down as leader of United National Party (UNP) following the party’s poor performance at the parliamentary elections held last week. UNP has secured only one seat at the last week elections with even Mr. Wickremsinghe failing to get elected.
- The four-time Prime minister earlier held the record of getting maximum number of preferential votes from Colombo during 2015 elections.
India, Maldives ink contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of island nation
- India and Maldives have signed a contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of the island nation. These eco tourism zones are part of grant projects being implemented under the High-Impact Community Development project (HICDP) scheme which involves a total grant assistance of 5.5 million US dollars to the Maldives. Currently, there are 9 such high-impact projects being implemented in the Maldives.
KN Ananthapadmanabhan promoted to ICC's international panel of umpires
- Former Kerala legspinner KN Ananthapadmanabhan has been promoted to the ICC's international panel of umpires. Ananthapadmanabhan will be the fourth Indian umpire on the international panel and fills the vacancy created by Nitin Menon's move to the ICC Elite Panel. The other three Indians on the international panel are C Shamshuddin, Anil Chaudhary and Virender Sharma.
- Ananthapadmanabhan has officiated in nearly every domestic tournament in India, including the IPL, an England Lions match, and Women's List A and T20 games.
Lebanon's PM Hassan Diab resigns following public outrage over major blast in Beirut last week
- Lebanon's Prime Minister Hassan Diab has resigned from his post in the wake of major blast in Beirut that has triggered public outrage. In a brief televised speech, Mr Diab said he is taking a step back so he can stand with the people and fight the battle for change alongside them.
- The Prime Minister's resignation follows a weekend of anti-government protests after the August 4 explosion in Beirut's port that decimated the facility and caused widespread destruction, killing more than 160 people and injured about six thousands.
Locust control operations done in over 5.22 lakh hectare area during April 11 to Aug 11: Govt
- The Union Government said that the locust control operations have been undertaken in more than five lakh 22 thousand hectare area in ten states from 11th April till 8th August this year.
- These States are Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand and Bihar. Agriculture Ministry said, presently, 104 control teams with spray vehicles are deployed in Rajasthan and Gujarat, and more than 200 Central Government personnel are engaged in locust control operations.
Magical eagle lands Morikawa first Major
- Collin Morikawa claimed his first major championship, delivering a magical eagle on the 16th hole in a bogey-free round of 64 at the 2020 PGA Championship. Morikawa, who is ranked 12th in the world, eventually finished at 13-under 267 at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
Pak court indicts former president Zardari in graft case
- Pakistan’s anti-graft court indicted former President Asif Ali Zardari on charges of corruption, as the opposition groups accused the government of Prime Minister Imran Khan of persecution. A judge of an accountability court, formally framed charges against Zardari for buying assets overseas from undeclared sources.
- Zardari, who is the co-Chairman of Pakistan Peoples Party party -- the second biggest opposition party in Parliament has rejected the charges. The indictment is the latest in a string of legal proceedings against premier Khan’s political opponents.
Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry observes World Biofuel Day
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry organised a webinar on the occasion of the World Biofuel day with the theme Biofuels towards Atmanirbhar Bharat. World Biofuel Day is observed every year on 10th August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels.
- There are three major areas of Biofuels- Ethanol, Bio-diesel and Biogas.
South Indian Bank gets RBI nod for non-financial subsidiary
- Kerala-based South Indian Bank (SIB) has got in-principle approval from the RBI for a non-financial subsidiary. The subsidiary would commence operations once it receives nod from the regulator and the bank completes related formalities and after obtaining the final approval from the regulators, it said in a statement.
- The subsidiary would enable us to streamline and optimise various operations so as to improve the overall productivity and efficiency of the institution, bank Managing Director Chief Executive Officer V G Mathew said.
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launches portal on Human Elephant Conflict on World Elephant Day
- The Minister for Environment and Forest Prakash Javadekar has released document on Best Practices and launched a portal on Human Elephant Conflict on the eve of World Elephant Day, 2020.
- The World Elephant Day is observed every year on 12th August to spread awareness about the animal. It was launched in 2012 to bring attention to the urgent plight of Asian and African elephants. Poaching, habitat loss, human-elephant conflict and mistreatment in captivity are some of the threats to both African and Asian elephants.
- Indian Elephant has also been listed in the Appendix I of the Convention of the Migratory species in the recently concluded 13th Conference of Parties on Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat in February this year.