Daily Current Affairs - 30th Aug 2020
'Black Panther' star Chadwick Boseman passes away at 43
- Black Panther actor, Chadwick Boseman passed away after a four-year battle with colon cancer.
- He made his big-screen debut in 2008 in the biopic The Express: The Ernie Davis Story where he played Floyd Little. He played famous Black Panther role in the Marvel cinematic universe.
51st IFFI to be held in Goa from Nov 20
- Fifty first International Film Festival of India IFFI will be held in Goa, from November 20th to 28th. This film festival being a hybrid film festival due to Covid 19, would screen films on official digital platform along with the theatrical screenings.
- Vice-chairman of the Entertainment Society of Goa, Subhash Faldesai informed that in a virtual meeting held last week, the IFFI steering committee decided to hold the festival in compliance with the Central government's SOP.
Alexander Kristoff wins opening stage of Tour de France
- Alexander Kristoff won the opening stage of the Tour de France, the annual multiple stage bicycle race.
- The Tour de France rolled out from the French Riviera city of Nice, two months later than planned and under the shadow of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Since its inception in 1903, the race has only been cancelled during the two world wars.
- To ensure the 22 teams competing at the constantly traveling event remain virus-free, organizers have put in place stringent rules keeping them away from fans.
CISF created an in-house mobile app “Pensioners Corner”
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) has made an in-house mobile app “Pensioners Corner”. The mobile app has been created by CISF to reach to the pensioners and to bring them on to the digital platform as a one stop solution.
- Through the mobile app “Pensioners Corner”, CISF will reach out to the Ex-Force personnel, who devoted their life for the country, in order to increase their self esteem. The mobile app comprises of inbuilt grievance redressal mechanism and will also contain information about all important circulars such as job opportunities and benefits pertaining to pensioners.
Famous art of 'Etikoppaka' dolls of Visakhapatnam district finds a place in "Mann ki Baat"
- The famous art of 'Etikoppaka' dolls of Visakhapatnam district finds a place in the "Mann ki Baat" programme of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a special mention of the famous Etikoppaka dolls saying that the toys would be useful to unleash the creativity in children in the current Pandemic situation.
- The needs of the village are such that the Central and State Governments come forward to set up a launchpad to deposit the chemistry on these colours which will be useful for artists as whole.
Finance Ministry asks banks to refund charges collected on electronic transactions after 1st Jan, 2020
- The Finance Ministry has asked banks to immediately refund the charges collected after 1st of January this year on transactions carried out using the electronic mode prescribed under the IT act.
- The Ministry also advised banks not to impose charges on any future transaction carried out through the electronic mode. It said, Central Board of Direct Taxes, CBDT had issued notification in this regard on 30th December last year.
- The notification says that if the transactions were carried out through RuPay card, BHIM - UPI, UPI QR Code and BHIM- UPI QR code, no banks or system providers will impose charges.
India withdraws from multilateral military exercise in Russia next month
- India has announced that it is withdrawing from multilateral Military Exercise Kavkaz 2020 to be held in Russia next month.
- In view of Pandemic and consequent difficulties in exercise, including arrangements of logistics, India has decided not to send a contingent this year to Kavkaz-2020.
- India had earlier planned to send around 150 Indian Army troops, 45 Indian Air Force personnel and a number of Navy officers to the multilateral military exercise to be held in the Astrakhan region in southern Russia from 15th to 26th September.
India, ASEAN countries agree to review free trade agreement to make it simple, facilitative
- India and ASEAN countries have agreed to review the free trade agreement to make it more user friendly, simple and facilitative. The review will make the ASEAN India trade in Goods Agreement (AITIGA) modern with contemporary trade facilitative practices, and streamlined customs and regulatory procedures.
- Mr. Goyal asserted that India and ASEAN shared close friendship and strong ties along with historical, cultural and traditional bonds. He affirmed that the relationship will continue to grow for the prosperity of the people of India and the ASEAN countries.
International Day against Nuclear Tests: 29 August
- The International Day against Nuclear Tests is observed globally on 29th August since 2010. The day aims to increase awareness about the effects of nuclear weapon test explosions or any other nuclear explosions and the need for their cessation as one of the means of achieving the goal of a nuclear-weapon-free world.
- 2010 marked the inaugural commemoration of the International Day against Nuclear Tests.
International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances: 30 August
- United Nations observes International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances globally on 30th of August every year. The day is being observed to express deep concern about the rise in enforced or involuntary disappearances in different regions of the world including the incidents of arrest, detention and abduction.
- UN General Assembly declared 30th of August as International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances and the day was observed for the first time in year 2011.
Jal Jeevan Mission to create smart eco-system to monitor water supply in rural areas
- The Government of India has decided to provide smart rural water supply system under Jal Jeevan Mission, Digital India, Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan and Make in India.
- The smart measurement and monitoring is to be conducted through Paani Samiti.
- The Paani Samiti is the one operating at village level or Gram Panchayat level. It consists of 10-15 members. 25% of this committee shall be from elected members of Panchayat, 50% should be women and 25% may consist of members from weaker sections of the village.
Kerala to set up India’s first International Women’s Trade Centre
- Kerala will set up India’s first international women’s trade centre (IWTC), in consonance with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at Angamaly.
- This initiative aims to accelerate women entrepreneurship and secure gender parity while providing women with a safe place away from home to start new businesses, set up or expand, and get their products marketed globally, said Biju Prabhakar, Secretary, Department of Social Justice, Women & Child Development.
MHA issues Unlock 4 guidelines
- The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued “Unlock 4” guidelines for the phased re-opening of activities in areas outside the Containment Zones. The “Unlock 4” guidelines will be effective from September 1, 2020.
- According to the new guidelines, Metro rail will be permitted to operate with effect from 7th September 2020 in a graded manner.
- New guidelines permits the Social/ academic/ sports/ entertainment/ cultural/ religious/ political functions and other congregations with a ceiling of 100 persons, with effect from 21st September 2020.
- No restrictions will be there on Inter-State and intra-State movement.
- The Schools, colleges, educational and coaching institutions will continue to remain closed for students and regular class activity up to 30th September 2020.
New Delhi railway station to get Rs 6500-crore
- The New Delhi Railway Station is the second busiest and the largest in India. The station is to be redeveloped by the Rail Land Development Authority at Rs 6,500 crores.
- The Railway station is to be developed by taking bids from the private players. The main objective of the project is to upgrade infrastructure.
- Rail Land Development Authority is a statutory authority operating under Ministry of Railways. It was set up under amendment of Railways Act, 1989. The authority is responsible to develop a vacant Railway land into assets for the railways.
New e-market platform launched to bridge gap between Indian farmers and UAE food industry
- The UAE Government launched AGRIOTA, a new technology driven agricultural commodity trading platform that will bridge the rural farmers from India and the gulf Food Industry.
- The E-Market place allows the farmers to connect with the UAE food industry directly bypassing intermediaries. This optimizes the supply chain and ensures traceability creating value for all stakeholders.
Punjab Assembly Passes Resolution Against Centre's Farm Ordinances
- The Punjab Government passed a resolution against the farm ordinances of the central government.
- According to the Punjab State Government, Agriculture falls under List II of Constitution and hence puts it as a State List. The promulgation of the ordinance is a direct encroachment on the functions of these states.
- In June 2020, the Union Government of India had issued three ordinances.
- 1. Farmers’ Produce Ordinance, 2020
- 2. Farmers Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance, 2020
- 3. Essential Commodities Ordinance, 2020
Sports Minister announces massive hike in prize money of National Sports Awards
- The Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju has announced an enhancement in the prize money in four of the seven categories of the National Sports and Adventure Awards. He made this announcement on the occasion of the National Sports Day 2020.
- The prize money for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award has been increased to 25 lakh rupees from the previous amount of 7.5 lakh rupees.
- Arjuna Award has been enhanced to 15 lakh rupees from 5 lakh.
- The Dhronacharya (Lifetime) awardees, who were earlier given 5 lakh rupees will now be given 15 lakh rupees as cash prize, while Dhronacharya (Regular) will be given 10 lakh instead of 5 lakh rupees per awardee.
- Dhyanchand Awardees will be given 10 lakh rupees instead of 5 lakh rupees.
Tharanga Paranavitana retires from international cricket
- Sri Lankan Opening batsman, Nishad Tharanga Paranavitana has announced retirement from all forms of International Cricket. He has represented Sri Lanka in 32 Test Matches scoring 1792 runs including two hundreds and 11 fifties.
- He is Sri Lanka’s highest ever run-getter in first-class cricket with 12,522 runs.