Daily Current Affairs - 02nd Oct 2020
Arjun Munda to launch largest market of tribal products ‘Tribes India E-Marketplace’ tomorrow
- Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda virtually launched India’s largest handicraft and organic products marketplace- Tribes India E-Marketplace on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- Mr Arjun Munda also flagged off several other TRIFED initiatives that are aimed to support tribal brethren. These include the inauguration of Tribes India’s 123rd and 124th outlets in Rishikesh and Kolkata, inclusion of new tribal product ranges from the states of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh and partnership of TRIFED and Tribes India with Amazon in their Seller Flex program.
Assam launches online pension submission, tracking portal for retired employees
- Chief Minister of Assam has launched a portal “Kritagyata”, an online pension submission and tracking system. It has been launched to lend convenience to the pensioners to dispose off their pension related claims.
- With the help of the portal, the retired government employees will submit the pension related papers online and will also get opportunity to check the status of his pension. The portal has been launched in line with the “Bhabhisya” portal of Government of India.
CCS approves proposal for establishment of ASCON Phase IV Network
- In order to meet the long pending demand of the Indian Army, the Cabinet Committee on Security had approved the proposal for establishment of Army Static Switched Communication Network, ASCON Phase IV Network. It will be implemented by M/s ITI, a Public Sector Undertaking, at an estimated cost of over 7 thousand 7 hundred 96 crore rupees with an implementation schedule of 36 months from the date of signing of the contract. The contract was signed with M/s ITI Ltd. today.
- The project is a strategic and theatre area communication network which will upgrade the existing Asynchronous Transfer Mode Technology to Internet Protocol, Multi Protocol Label Switching Technology. Optical Fibre Cable, Microwave Radio and Satellite will be used as communication media.
Dhanlaxmi Bank's Board appoints committee after shareholders oust CEO
- Dhanlaxmi Bank’s board has appointed a committee of directors (CoD) to manage the day-to-day affairs of the bank. The development comes a day after the bank’s shareholders voted against Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Sunil Gurbaxani.
- The bank said the RBI had, as requested by the board of directors, approved an interim arrangement for formation of the CoD to exercise the powers of managing director & CEO till such time a new MD & CEO takes charge.
- The board appointed independent directors G Subramonia Iyer, G Rajagopalan, and P K Vijayakumar.
DRDO successfully test fires Laser Guided Anti Tank Guided Missile
- The indigenously developed Laser Guided Anti Tank Guided Missile, ATGM was successfully test fired defeating a target located at longer range. The test was conducted from MBT Arjun at KK ranges, Armoured Corps Centre and School Ahmednagar in continuation of successful trial done on 22nd of last month.
- This Laser Guided Missile has been developed by Armament Research and Development Establishment, Pune in association with High Energy Materials Research Laboratory, Pune and Instruments Research and Development Establishment, Dehradun.
Finance Ministry grants additional borrowing permission to UP & Andhra Pradesh upon undertaking reforms in PDS, Ease of Doing Business
- Union Finance Ministry has granted additional borrowing permission to two more states namely Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh for successfully undertaking reforms in the Public Distribution System (PDS) and Ease of Doing Business. This will make an additional amount of seven thousand 106 crore rupees available to these states.
- In view of the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, the Union Government had in May this year allowed additional borrowing limit of up to two per cent of Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) to the states for the current financial year. This made an amount up to four lakh 27 thousand 302 crore rupees available to the states.
- One per cent of this is subject to implementation of four specific state-level reforms, where weightage of each reform is 0.25 per cent of GSDP. These reforms include implementation of One Nation, One Ration Card System, Ease of Doing Business reforms, Urban Local body reforms and Power Sector reforms.
French Open: Novak Djokovic beat Ricardas Berankis in second round
- In Tennis, Novak Djokovic continued his dominant start to the French Open with a ruthless straight-set win against Lithuanian world number 66 Ricardas Berankis in the second round. The world number one won 6-1, 6-2, 6-2.
- Djokovic will face either Colombian qualifier Daniel Elahi Galan or American world number 47 Tennys Sandgren next.
GST collection during Sep touches six month high; indicates recovery in economic activities
- Ministry of Finance has said that the gross Goods and Services Tax, GST revenue collection in the month of September stood at 95 thousand 480 crore rupees. The revenue collection in September is the highest so far during this fiscal.
- Out of total GST collection, Central GST is 17 thousand 741 crore rupees, State GST is 23 thousand 131 crore rupees, Integrated GST is 47 thousand 484 crore rupees and Cess is 7 thousand 124 crore rupees.
- The Ministry in a statement said, the total revenue earned by Central Government and the State Governments after regular settlement in the month of September is over 39 thousand crore rupees for CGST and 40 thousand 128 crore rupees for the SGST. It said, the revenues for the month are four per cent higher than the GST revenues in the same month of last year.
Hero MotoCorp appoints former Air Chief BS Dhanoa as independent director
- The country's largest two-wheeler maker Hero MotoCorp has appointed Air Chief Marshal (Retd) B S Dhanoa as a non-executive and independent director on the company's board with immediate effect.
- Dhanoa served as the Chief of the Indian Air Force from January 1, 2017 to September 30, 2019.
- The company has also appointed Sanjay Bhan as Head of Global Business to pursue rapid expansion and consolidation in the international markets.
India, Myanmar review entire gamut of bilateral relations during 19th round of Foreign Office Consultations
- The 19th round of Foreign Office Consultations between India and Myanmar was held through virtual mode. The Indian delegation was led by Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla and the Myanmar delegation was led by Permanent Secretary, U Soe Han.
- During the consultations, both sides reviewed the entire gamut of relations, including border cooperation and the ongoing restoration work on earthquake damaged pagodas in Bagan.
- Cooperation in regional and multilateral fora was also discussed. Both sides expressed satisfaction that despite the ongoing COVID pandemic, meetings in several areas, including power, energy etc have been held through virtual mode, reflecting the depth of the bilateral engagement.
Integrated Defence Staff celebrates 20th Raising Day
- Integrated Defence Staff celebrated its 20th Raising Day. Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff, popularly known as HQ IDS, was raised on 1st October 2001. Tasked to promote Jointness among the Armed Forces and ensure better coordination with Ministry of Defence and other Departments and Ministries, HQ IDS has over the last 19 years, synergised the efforts of the Armed Forces in promoting national endeavours in key fields such as security, modernisation, jointness and military diplomacy, to name a few.
- HQ IDS remains at the forefront of multiple initiatives aimed at furthering the integration and jointness among the Services and thus living upto its motto “Victory Through Jointness”.
International Day for Older Persons: Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan launches Decade of Healthy Ageing (2020-2030)
- Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan restated commitment of the Government to healthy ageing on the occasion of International Day for Older Persons.
- Every year 1st October is celebrated as the International Day of Older Persons, as declared by United Nations, to recognize, enable and expand the contributions of older people in their families, communities and societies at large and to raise awareness towards issues of ageing.
International Day of Non-Violence: 2nd October
- The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on 2nd October, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Indian independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence. The International Day is an occasion to “disseminate the message of non-violence, including through education and public awareness”.
- On 15 June 2007, the United Nations General Assembly voted to establish 2 October as the International Day of Non-Violence.
Mubadala picks up 1.4% stake in Reliance Retail for Rs 6,247 crore
- Reliance Industries (RIL) said Abu-Dhabi-based sovereign fund Mubadala would invest Rs 6,247.5 crore into subsidiary Reliance Retail for a 1.4 per cent stake.
- This is the fifth deal to be announced by the Mukesh-Ambani-led firm in three weeks, stepping up its stake sale process that has seen marquee investors back the firm so far.
- The company announced two transactions, one by General Atlantic for Rs 3,675 crore, who would pick up a 0.84 per cent stake in the company. The second was by the co-investors of private equity giant Silver Lake, who would invest an additional Rs 1,875 crore into Reliance Retail.
NABARD launches sanitation literacy campaign in Karnataka
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development, NABARD regional office in Karnataka launched the Sanitation Literacy Campaign to promote literacy on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, (WASH) under Swach Bharath Mission.
- The campaign which will be ending on 26th of January, next year will provide special refinance facility of 800 crore rupees across the country to Commercial banks, regional rural banks, Cooperatives and non banking financial institutions at the rate of 6.65 percent. This will support WASH activities by covering 95 percent of the project cost.
Tamil Nadu government launches Centre's 'One Nation, One Ration Card' scheme
- The Tamil Nadu government launched the Centre's ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ scheme across the state. Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami launched the scheme at the state secretariat in Chennai by handing over ration entitlements to three families.
- The scheme will allow ration cardholders to receive their monthly quota of commodities from any public distribution system (PDS) shop in the State. The scheme will benefit migrant families by providing them rations at their place of residence irrespective of their State of origin.
- Over 25 States across the country have already joined the one nation one ration card scheme so far.
UP becomes first state in country to undertake over one crore tests to screen Corona virus
- Uttar Pradesh has achieved another land mark in testing of COVID samples by becoming first state in the country to undertake over one crore tests to screen Corona virus.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath termed it a great achievement and said that government has conducted 1.5 lakh tests per day for the past 45 days. Of these, nearly 42 per cent of tests were done through the RT-PCR method.
- UP’s share in the total tests conducted in the country now stands at 13.6 per cent.