Daily Current Affairs - 11th Oct 2020
Armenia, Azerbaijan agree on ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh
- Armenia and Azerbaijan have agreed to a cease-fire in Nagorno-Karbakh. The top diplomats from the two countries said in a statement that the truce is intended to exchange prisoners and recover the dead, adding that specific details will be agreed on later.
- The region lies in Azerbaijan but has been under control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by Armenia since the end of a separatist war in 1994.
- The talks between the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan were held on invitation from Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Goa becomes first Har Ghar Jal State in country by providing tap water connection to every rural household
- Goa has become the first Har Ghar Jal State in the country by providing tap water connection to every rural household. The state has provided tap water connection to two lakh 30 thousand rural households.
- North Goa with one lakh 65 thousand rural households and South Goa with 98 thousand rural households in 191 Gram Panchayats are fully saturated with assured piped water supply through tap connections.
Govt extends deadline for filing GST returns for financial year 2018-19 till October 31
- Government has extended the deadline for filing GST annual return for the financial year 2018-19 by a month till 31st October.
- Furnishing of the Annual return is mandatory only for taxpayers with aggregate annual turnover above two crore rupees while reconciliation statement is to be furnished only by the registered persons with aggregate turnover above five crore rupees.
Gujarat State Fertilizers launches indigenous variety of Calcium Nitrate and boronated Calcium Nitrate
- Gujarat State Fertilizers and Chemicals India Ltd has launched an indigenous variety of calcium nitrate and boronated calcium nitrate. For the first time in India, Calcium Nitrate and boronated Calcium Nitrate is being manufactured locally. Earlier, India used to import it from other countries.
- These two products were launched in the retail market from Solan, Himachal Pradesh and Bhavnagar, Gujarat. These launches are the decisive step towards “AatmaNirbhar Bharat and AatmaNirbhar Krishi”.
India donates 1.8 million N95 masks to Philadelphia city in US
- India has donated 1.8 million N95 masks to Philadelphia, the largest city in the US state of Pennsylvania, to help in its fight against COVID-19, setting another example of a robust Indo-US partnership in the health sector.
- The move comes after the Mayor of Philadelphia, Jim Kenney, made a request to India for supply of masks to be used by the city's frontline workers.
- India had also supplied hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug which is seen as a possible cure for COVID-19, to the US at the request of President Donald Trump.
India successfully test-fires first indigenous ‘Rudram’ Anti-Radiation Missile from Sukhoi-30
- India has successfully test-fired the Rudram – an Anti-Radiation Missile. It has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The missile was test fired from its primary test platform Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft off the east coast.
- The New Generation Anti-Radiation Missile (Rudram-1) which is India’s first indigenous anti-radiation missile developed by DRDO India for Indian Air Force was tested successfully at ITR, Balasore.
India's foreign exchange reserves touch an all time high of 545.638 billion dollars
- India's foreign exchange reserves have recorded a rise of 3.618 billion dollars to touch a new lifetime high of 545.638 billion dollars in the week ended 2nd October. Foreign currency assets, a major part of the overall reserves, increased by 3.104 billion dollars to 503.046 billion dollars.
- The gold reserves rose by 486 million dollars in the reporting week to reach 36.486 billion dollars. The country’s special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund rose marginally by 4 million dollars to 1.476 billion dollars, while reserve position with the IMF also went up by 23 million dollars to 4.631 billion dollars.
Indian Navy Ships Sahyadri and Kora adjudged as Best Ships in FAF 2020
- Fleet Award Function(FAF), 2020 was organised to mark the successful culmination of the Operational Cycle of the Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam.
- Sixteen trophies were awarded in recognition of excellence in various operational verticals. The most coveted trophies of Best Ship were awarded to INS Sahyadri amongst Capital ships and INS Kora amongst Corvettes and similar classes of ships. Indian Naval Ships Airavat and Kiltan jointly bagged the ‘Best Spirited Ship’ displaying indomitable spirit and grit whilst undertaking a plethora of challenging missions.
International Girl Child Day 2020: October 11
- Every year, International Day of the Girl Child is celebrated by UNICEF. It is celebrated on October 11. This year, the day is celebrated under the theme “My voice, our equal future”.
- The International Day of Girl Child, 2020 marks 25 years of Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action for working towards empowering girls.
- India celebrates both International Day of the Girl and also National Girl Child Day. The National Girl Child Day is celebrated on January 24 every year.
October 10: World Mental Health Day
- Every year, the World Mental Health Day is celebrated on October 10. The day was first initiated by World Federation for Mental Health.
- According to WHO, mental health is defined as a state of well being in which an individual realises his or her own potential.
- World Federation for mental health was founded in 1948 to prevent mental and emotional disorders. The organisation aims to prevent mental disorders, spread mental health awareness and adopt best recovery practices.
Polish teenager Iga Swiatek becomes the new French Open Champion
- In Tennis, Polish teenager Iga Swiatek has become the new French Open Champion. She beat the American Australian Open winner Sofia Kenin in the Women Singles final by 6-4, 6-1. The 19-year-old Swiatek will earn $1,900,000 for the incredible achievement and moves to 17th position in the world ranking.
- Earlier, Sofia Kenin left the court due to injury and could not play her natural game after returning on the court.
RBI to discontinue system-based automatic caution-listing of exporters
- In an effort to provide flexibility to exporters in the realisation of export proceeds, the Reserve Bank has decided to discontinue the system-based automatic caution-listing of exporters.
- As part of automation of the Export Data Processing and Monitoring System, the 'Caution/De-caution Listing' of exporters was automated in 2016. Accordingly, the exporters were to be caution-listed automatically, if any shipping bill against them remained outstanding for more than two years.
- After contracting for six months in a row, India's exports grew by 5.27 percent year-on-year to 27.4 billion dollars in September while the trade deficit narrowed to a three-month low of 2.91 billion dollars.
Shashi Tharoor-led Parliamentary panel on Information Technology to take up TRP scam issue
- Amid reports of manipulations in Television Rating Points (TRP) by some channels, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Technology, chaired by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, has decided to take up the issue.
- Television Rating Points (TRPS) provide the data regarding the number of people, their socio-economic categories, the channels they watch and the number of times or hours or days or even weeks they have watched a particular channel.
Two-day coastal security exercise 'Sagar Kavach' concludes
- A two-day Coastal Security Exercise namely ‘Sagar Kavach’ conducted by the Indian Navy along with Indian Coast Guard and all stakeholders involved in Coastal Security from the coast of Kerala. The exercise was monitored from Joint Operations Centre, Kochi.
- Sagar Kavach is a half-yearly exercise with an objective to check the Coastal Security mechanism and validate Standard Operating Procedures. The exercise conducted along the coastal areas of Kerala, Karnataka and Lakshadweep assumes significance in the backdrop of the prevailing security situation in the country.
Uttarakhand CM Launches 'Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana'
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister, Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched the “Mukhya Mantri Saur Swarojgar Yojana” in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- The scheme is aimed at promoting self-employment of the youth and promoting the production of Green Energy. The targeted beneficiaries include youths and migrant workers, who returned home after leaving jobs in various parts of the country due to pandemic.
World Migratory Bird Day: 10 October
- World Migratory Bird Day is observed globally 10th October. The aim of the day is to raise awareness of migratory birds and the importance of international cooperation to conserve them.
- This time the theme of World Migratory Bird Day 2020 is “Birds Connect Our World”. The theme highlights the importance of conserving and restoring the ecological connectivity and integrity of ecosystems that support the natural cycles that are essential for the survival and well-being of migratory birds.