- Financial literacy is an important life skill for the holistic development of each student. NCFE's National Financial Literacy Assessment Test (NCFE-NFLAT) is a step in that direction. This is a first of its kind national level test, conducted by the National Centre for Financial Education (NCFE), to measure the level of financial literacy among school students. Through this test, NCFE aims to encourage the school students to obtain basic financial skills which are essential for their full participation in society and life time of well being.
- NCFE-NFLAT was launched in the year 2013-14 by the NCFE which is setup as part of NISM, with support from all financial sector regulators i.e. RBI, SEBI, IRDAI & PFRDA for implementation of the National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE).
Student registration through School only
- NFLAT 2017-18 Online Test shall be conducted throughout the year. A period of 8 months (1st May, 2017 to 31st December, 2017) will be there for those who want to advance to the next round of competition. However, students can take the test in the remaining period also, but they will be issued a certificate and they will not advance to the next round of competition
- Student Registration through Online Mode within the School only.
- The NFLAT, NFLAT Jr. and NFLAT Sr. Test shall be conducted in the respective schools. The schools having adequate IT Infrastructure and internet connectivity shall be allowed to conduct the test at their premises.
- The Online test shall be available regularly in different slots and timings for the period of 8 months. The school has to invigilate the online test for their own students and any assistance required for the online test shall be provided by NCFE/NISM Team.
- The schools shall be paid a fixed incentive of Rs. 10 per student (for students appearing in the test, mere registration won’t be considered) for NFLAT, NFLAT Jr. and NFLAT Sr. to meet their cost toward student’s infrastructure.
- The school shall update students with the test date and time, well in advance.
Approach for NFLAT 2017-18
For 2017-18 the NFLAT shall be conducted for students from 6th to 12th Standard.
- NFLAT Jr. 2017-18: This test will be conducted for students of 6th to 8th Standard
- NFLAT 2017-18: This test will be conducted for students of 9th and 10th Standard
- NFLAT Sr. 2017-18: This test will be conducted for students of 11th and 12th Standard
- School Registration
- Firstly, the school has to register itself online according to the given ‘Registration Guidelines’.
- Students’ Registration
- Subsequent to the school registration, details of the students interested in the test need to be added/ uploaded by the school.
- Date and Slot Selection / Enrollment
- Finally, the schools need to select the ‘Date and Slot’ on which they intend their students to take the test
*The details regarding Second Round of Competition shall be updated in the due course of time.
|NFLAT Sr. (11th & 12th Standard)||NFLAT (9th & 10th Standard)||NFLAT Jr. (6th to 8th Standard)|
|No Fee: The test is completely free||No Fee: The test is completely free||No Fee: The test is completely free|
|Registration: Online||Registration: Online||Registration: Online|
|Venue:- Respective school as Test Centre||Venue:- Respective school as Test Centre||Venue:- Respective school as Test Centre|
|Duration of examination: 1 hour||Duration of examination: 1 hour||Duration of examination: 1 hour|
|Medium of examination: English only||Medium of examination: English and Hindi||Medium of examination: English and Hindi|
|Number of Questions: 100||Number of Questions: 75||Number of Questions: 50|
|Type of questions: Multiple choice of 1-mark each.||Type of questions: Multiple choices with combinations of 1-mark, 2-marks and 3-marks questions.||Type of questions: Multiple choice of 1-mark each.|
|Negative marking of 25% for wrongly attempted questions i.e., -0.25 for 1-mark questions||Negative marking of 25% for wrongly attempted questions i.e., -0.25 for 1-mark questions, -0.5 for 2-marks questions, -0.75 for 3-mark questions.||No Negative marking for NFLAT Jr.|
NFLAT would cover the following topics
- Money Matters: Smart Goals and Financial Analysis
- Budgeting: Balancing the Means and the Ends
- Understanding insurance and risk management
- Understanding Investments
- Basics of Banking
- Introduction to Stocks and Bonds
- Investments: The wider Spectrum
- Beyond Savings: Borrowing
- Retirement as a financial goal
Download the detailed NFLAT syllabus here
Please note the syllabus for the NFLAT & NFLAT Jr. shall remain the same. The difficulty level of the NFLAT & NFLAT Jr. shall vary.
Students can refer the following study materials to prepare for the test.
- Pocket Money Workbook English | Hindi
- Financial Education for School Children English | Hindi
- Introduction to Retirement Planning English
- Commodity Futures Market English
- Personal Finance for School Students English
- Financial Education Material by RBI Basics of Banking
- Financial Education Material by IRDAI Basics of Insurance
The above materials are for reference only. Students are advised to prepare for the test based on the topics mentioned in the detailed NFLAT syllabus.