The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) jointly administer the conduct of GATE Exam. The operations related to GATE in 8 zones all over India are managed by a Zonal GATE Office at IISc. or IITs. The Organizing Institute (OI) is responsible for the end-to-end process and coordination amongst the administering Institutes. The Organizing Institute for GATE 2016 was IISc Bangalore, for GATE 2017 was IIT Roorkee & for GATE 2018 is IIT Guwahati.
Highlights of GATE 2018 are:
- Examinations for all papers would be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online exam will have Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Numerical Questions where answers are to be keyed in by the candidates using virtual keypad
- GATE 2018 examinations are to be held on February 3-4, 2018 & February 10-11, 2018 (Saturdays and Sundays only)
- For GATE 2018 the entire process of filling up application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc. is online and the candidates need not send any hard copy of their application form/documents, etc. to any of the IIT/IISc zonal GATE office
- The payment of application fees is online through different modes like net banking or e-challan
- Candidates have to download their admit cards from GATE 2018 website
- GATE 2018 score is valid for 3 yrs from the date of Result Announcement
Important Dates for GATE 2018
|GATE 2018 Online Examination Dates:||February 3-4, 2018 & February 10-11, 2018 (Saturdays and Sundays only)|
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrollment, Application Filling, Application Submission||September 1, 2017 (Friday)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website||October 5, 2017 (Thursday)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||November 17, 2017 (Friday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||January 5, 2018 (Friday)|
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 17, 2018 (Saturday)|
Eligibility Criteria for GATE 2018 (No Age Limit)
Candidates with any of the following qualification are eligible to appear in GATE Exam.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology (4 Years after 10+2 or 3 years after Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Architecture (Five year course) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor's degree of Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Master's degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or Equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Four-year Integrated Master's degree (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and those in the second or higher year of such programs.
- Five-year Integrated Master's degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those in the fourth or higher year of such programs.
- Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.Sc./M.Sc. Degree and those in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
Candidates from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka & United Arab Emirates must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor's degree in Engineering/ Technology or Post-graduate (M.Sc.) degree in any relevant science subject.
How to Apply for GATE 2018
All candidates have to apply ONLINE through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Details of the non-refundable application fee are shown in table below -
|Women candidates / SC / ST / PwD category candidates||INR 750/-|
|All other candidates||INR 1500/-|
|GATE International Candidates - Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka & Kathmandu||US Dollars 50|
|Dubai & Singapore||US Dollars 100|
Source: GATE 2018 Notification
For GATE 2018, payments would have to be made through online by using net banking or e-challan facilities. Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the bank from where the money is being transferred. This charge will be specified on the payment portal.
GATE Score Card
After the declaration of the results, candidates can download their GATE 2018 Score Card for the paper (for which he/she has taken the examination). The score cards will be issued for only those candidates whose marks are equal to or above the qualifying marks of SC/ST/PwD candidates in that paper. The GATE 2018 score cards can be downloaded after 17th March 2018 and for that the candidate should access the zonal websites from where he/she has taken the GATE 2018 examination.
The GATE 2018 Committee has the authority to decide the qualifying mark/score for each GATE paper. In case any claim or dispute arises in respect of GATE 2017, it is hereby made absolutely clear that the Courts and Tribunals in Allahabad and Allahabad alone shall have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle any such dispute or claim.
Calculation of GATE 2018 Score
Calculation of Normalized Marks for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers
In 2018, examination for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers is being held in multi-sessions. Hence, for these papers, a suitable normalization is applied to take into account any variation in the difficulty levels of the question papers across different sessions. The normalization is done based on the fundamental assumption that "in all multi-session GATE papers, the distribution of abilities of candidates is the same across all the sessions". This assumption is justified since the number of candidates appearing in multi-session papers in GATE 2018 is large and the procedure of allocation of session to candidates is random. Further it is also ensured that for the same multi-session paper, the number of candidates allotted in each session is of the same order of magnitude.
Based on the above, and considering various normalization methods, the committee arrived at the following formula for calculating the normalized marks, for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers.
Normalized Mark of jth candidate in ith session M^ij is given by:
- Mij is the actual marks obtained by the candidate in the session
- Mgt is the average marks of the top 0.1% of the candidates considering all sessions
- Mgq is the sum of mean and standard deviation marks of the candidates in the paper considering all sessions
- Mti is the average marks of the top 0.1% of the candidates in theithsession
- Miq is the sum of the mean marks and standard deviation of theithsession
After the evaluation of the answers, normalized marks based on the above formula will be calculated corresponding to the raw marks obtained by a candidate for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers and the GATE 2018 Score will be calculated based on the normalized marks. For all other papers, actual marks obtained will be used for calculating the GATE 2018 Score.
Calculation of GATE Score for all papers
GATE 2018 score will be calculated using the formula;
After the declaration of the results, GATE Score Cards will be downloadable to (a) All SC/ST/PwD candidates whose marks are greater than or equal to the qualifying mark of SC/ST/PwD candidates in their respective papers, and (b) All other candidates whose marks are greater than or equal to the qualifying mark of OBC (NCL) candidates in their respective papers. There is no provision for the issue of additional GATE Score Cards.
Source: GATE 2018 Notification