Daily Current Affairs - 16th Feb 2020
"Global Investor Summit" for the first time in Jammu and Kashmir; Road Shows to attract investments
- The Government of India is making preparation in full swing for the Global Investors Summit to be held in Jammu and Kashmir in April 2020.
- In order to increase the number of investments roadshows are to be conducted from February 17, 2020. The roadshows are to be held in Kolkata, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad and Hyderabad. The Union Territory is to send 54 senior officials to preside over the roadshows. Jammu and Kashmir will also hold International Roadshows.
"Operation Nakail" for Auto-rickshaws in Ghaziabad
- The Ghaziabad police launched ‘Operation Nakail’ under which the identity of all auto-rickshaw drivers will be verified and a unique four-digit number will be allotted to them. The drivers will be required to get the unique number printed on the front, left, right and rear side of the auto-rickshaws. Customers can file complaints using the number if they face any harassment.
65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020
- The 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020 were held on February 15 in ‘Awesome’ Assam in Guwahati. This was the first edition of the award show which was held outside Mumbai.
- Best Film- ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Director Zoya Akhtar for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Film (Critics)- ‘Article 15’ (Anubhav Sinha) and ‘Sonchiriya’ (Abhishek Chaubey)
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Male)- Ranveer Singh for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Actor (Critics)- Ayushmann Khurrana for ‘Article 15’
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Female)- Alia Bhatt for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Actress (Critics): Bhumi Pednekar and Taapsee Pannu for ‘Saand Ki Aankh’
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Female)- Amruta Subhash for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Male)- Siddhant Chaturvedi for ‘Gully Boy’
- Best Music Album- ‘Gully Boy’: Zoya Akhtar-Ankur Tewari and ‘Kabir Singh’: Mithoon, Amaal Mallik, Vishal Mishra, Sachet–Parampara and Akhil Sachdeva
- Best Lyrics- Divine and Ankur Tewari for “Apna Time Aayega” (Gully Boy)
- Best Playback Singer (Male)- Arijit Singh for “Kalank Nahi Ishq Hai Kajal Piya” (Kalank)
- Best Playback Singer (Female)- Shilpa Rao for Ke Ghungroo Toot Gaye (War)
- Best Debut Director- Aditya Dhar for ‘Uri: The Surgical Strike’
- Best Debut Actor- Abhimanyu Dassani for ‘Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota’
- Best Debut Actress- Ananya Pandey for ‘Student Of The Year 2’ and ‘Pati Patni Aur Woh’
- Best Original Story- ‘Article 15’ (Anubhav Sinha and Gaurav Solanki)
- Best Screenplay- ‘Gully Boy’ (Reema Kagti and Zoya Akhtar)
- Best Dialogue- ‘Gully Boy’ (Vijay Maurya)
- Lifetime Achievement Award- Ramesh Sippy
- Excellence In Cinema- Govinda
Abhinav Kashyap releases 'The Crossfire of Love', a novel by US-based author Dhiren Tiwari
- Filmmaker and screenwriter Abhinav Kashyap of the 'Dabangg' fame unveiled the novel 'The Crossfire of Love', a racing psychological romantic thriller by US-based author Dhiren Tiwari.
- The novel is an explosive #MeToo story told from the perspectives of Saira, a failed journalist obsessed with reviving her career.
EIU lowers global growth forecast for 2020 to 2.2%
- The Economist Intelligence Unit has revised downwards its global growth forecast for 2020 to 2.2 per cent, from 2.3 percent previously.
- It has lowered the forecast due to the new risks that have emerged following the novel coronavirus outbreak in China.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit's baseline scenario is that the public health emergency in China will be brought under control by end-March.
February 15: World Pangolin Day
- Every year the third Saturday of February month is celebrated as World Pangolin Day. The ninth World Pangolin Day is being celebrated on February 15, 20 20. The numbers of Pangolin is rapidly declining in Asia and Africa. This is mainly because Pangolin scales are rich in medicinal properties.
- Pangolins are protected under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). In India they are protected under Wild Life (Protection ) Act, 1972. They are listed under Schedule I of the act. The IUCN Red List puts the Indian Pangolin under Endangered category.
- For the first time, the Madhya Pradesh Forest department radio-tagged Indian Pangolin in order to learn its ecology. It is a joint operation of the forest department and the NGO Wildlife Conservation Trust.
First Integrated Tri-Service Command to be set up in June by the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
- The Chief of Defence Staff Bipin Rawat aims to set up an integrated tri-service command for the first time by June 2020. This command will be headed by an Air Marshal.
- The talks among the CDS, Air Force Chief RKS Bhadauria and Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane have begun regarding the creation of the command. Along with this, the CDS officer is also planning to create a joint peninsula command.
- The creation of CDS post was recommended by Group of Ministers that studied the Kargil Review Committee (1999) report. He will work towards the coordination of the services. After resigning or demitting from the post, he is not eligible to hold any of the government posts.
GIC Re gets license from Bank of Russia for reinsurance biz
- India’s reinsurance company, General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re) has received the license from Central Bank of the Russian Federation (Bank of Russia) to commence reinsurance business in Russia. The license enables the subsidiary to commence transacting domestic and international reinsurance business in Russia based on the capital invested by the Corporation.
Govt to host "National Organic Food Festival" in New Delhi
- The government will organise an organic food festival for women entrepreneurs “National Organic Food Festival” from February 21-23 in New Delhi.
- The aim of this program is to promote the segment which is projected to expand nearly three-fold to Rs 75,000 crore in market size in the next five years.
- The three-day festival will be organised jointly by Food Processing and Women & Child Development ministries at JawaharLal Nehru Stadium in the national capital.
- The theme of this festival is ''Unleasing India’s Organic Market Potential''.
IISS Study: World Defence spending biggest in 10 years
- The International Institute of Strategic Studies released its report on Defence Spending all over the world. The report was titled “Military Balance”. According to the report, the global spending rose by 4% in 2019. This is the largest growth in 10 years.
- Out of all the countries, China and US has increased the spending by 6.6%. The Europe spending has increased by 4.2%. This is the first time Europe has seen increased levels of spending since financial crisis in 2008.
India settles for bronze at Badminton Asia Team Championships
- Indian Men's team settled for a bronze at the Badminton Asia Team Championships after losing to two-time defending champions Indonesia 2-3 in the semifinals at Manila.
- World No. 31 Lakshya notched up a sensational 21-18 22-20 win over world no. 7 Asian Games champion, Jonatan Christie in the second singles encounter.
- Indian men thus settled for their second bronze medal, having won the first one at the 2016 Hyderabad edition.
ISRO to launch 10 Earth Imaging Satellites in 2020 including first Geo Imaging Satellite-1
- ISRO published its annual report 2019-20. According to the report, the Indian Space Research Organization will launch 10 Earth Observation Satellites in 2020-21. It includes the first Geo Imaging Satellite, GISAT-1.
- The report says that 18 communication satellites, 19 national Earth Observation satellites and eight navigation satellites are in service. Out of these, 3 of these communication satellites are dedicated for military communication.
Joshna Chinappa clinches 77th Senior National squash Championship
- India's squash ace Joshna Chinappa has clinched 77th Senior National Championship in woman's category at the ISA courts in Chennai. With the win, she claimed her 18th title in the career. Saurav Ghosal won in Men's category bagging 13th titles to his kitty.
- Chinappa defeated Tanvi Khanna, 8-11, 11-6, 11-4, 11-7 in to add yet another national title to her record while Ghosal defeated second seed Abhishek Pradhan 11-6, 11-5, 11-6 to win the title yet again.
Maharashtra govt announces five-day working week for its employees
- The Maharashtra government announced a five-day working week for its officers and employees.
- The cabinet also extended the current work hours by 45 minutes.The new routine would start from February 29.
- Currently Maharashtra government officials work on the first and third Saturdays of the month and get an off on the second and fourth Saturdays.
MakeMyTrip founder Kalra steps down as group CEO, Magow to take over
- Deep Kalra, group chief executive of Nasdaq-listed MakeMyTrip, has stepped down.
- Kalra, a St Stephen’s College and IIM-Ahmedabad alumni, will now serve as executive chairman. Rajesh Magow, who was heading its India business, taking over Kalra’s role.
- Magow will work closely with Kalra in his new role and focus on driving the next phase of growth for the MakeMyTrip Group through its three brands - MakeMyTrip, Goibibo and Redbus.
Manipur: Seed sowing festival 'Lui-Ngai-Ni' celebrated at Ukhrul
- The Naga tribes of Manipur celebrated it's seed sowing festival 'Lui-Ngai-Ni', under the theme "Oneness through Culture”.
- Manipur's Minister of Tribal Development N. Kayisii graced the festival as inaugural Chief Guest and Tamei MLA Awangbou Newmai as Guest of Honour.
- Leaders from other communities of the State, mainly Meitei, Kuki and Zomi also participated at Lui-Ngai-Ni Festival to show mutual solidarity for peaceful co-existence.
Milan 2020: Biggest Multilateral Naval Exercise in the Indian Ocean Region
- Indian Navy is preparing itself for the biggest multilateral naval exercise to be conducted in the Indian Ocean Region. The Exercise is to be conduct under the theme: “Synergy across the Seas”.
- The exercise will include multi-national groupings, simulation of operational scenarios and tactical maneuvers. Around 42 countries are to participate in the exercise. It includes Russia and USA as well. India has not invited China to participate in the exercise. The exercise is to be conducted in Vishakhapatnam in March 2020.
Mizoram, Bihar paired under EK Bharat Shrestha Bharat programme
- Mizoram is paired with the State of Bihar for the year 2019-2020 under the EK Bharat -Shrestha Bharat campaign.
- The central government’s Ek Bharat Shresth Bharat programme aims to establish cultural exchanges between people of different regions.
- Both states are organizing various programmes like students’ exchange, cultural exchange between both sides people to know each other’s cultural varieties and promote national integrity.
- About 30 people including students in two batches from Mizoram will travel to Bihar in the last week of this month under cultural exchange and students exchange categories in line of Ek Bharat -Shrestha Bharat ideal.
Nagpur Oranges Exported to Dubai first Time
- The first Consignment of Nagpur Oranges were sent to Dubai from Navi Mumbai. The oranges were sent in refrigerated containers.
- The APEDA (Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority) selected Nagpur district as a cluster for oranges under Agriculture Export Policy.
- The production of the fruit is increasing in central and western India. The Mrig crop that matures between February and March has great potential for export. This is because arrival of these fruits is less in the international market during this period.
RBI Syncs Financial Year with the Fiscal Year
- The board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) decided to sync the Financial year of the bank with the Fiscal Year. The Fiscal Year begins in April and ends in March and the Financial year is between July and June.
- The alignment was recommended by an expert committee led by Bimal Jalan. According to the committee, the central bank will be able to provide estimates of the surplus transfers better after the alignment. This will reduce the interim dividend that the RBI has to pay to the Government.
- The Centre had been demanding for an interim dividend (between April to August) as its final balance sheet is prepared in August. This was mainly because RBI had a different accounting year.