World of Opportunities

Graduate education in the USA refers to Master's degrees and above - Master of Science (MS), Master of Arts (MA) and Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) degrees. Students who have completed their undergraduate education, 16 years of formal education, are eligible to apply to graduate programs in the USA. Master’s degrees in the USA usually take about two years to complete. However, students can complete Master's education in 15 to 18 months. The Ph.D. degree follows a Graduate or sometimes Undergraduate education, and typically takes anywhere between three to five years.

During the course of graduate study, one can work legally part-time (up to 20 hours a week) or full-time (up to 40 hours a week) by way of on-campus jobs, internships or co-op programs.

Upon completion the graduate study, one can live legally in the country on a student visa while working full-time for a specified time – about two-and-half years for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) students and upto one year for non-STEM students.


Postgraduate programs in the UK such as Masters in Arts and Masters in Science are one year programs whereas Research Degrees in the UK such as M.Phil and Ph.D. Can take upto three years for one to complete.

The following are the three types of Postgraduate Degrees:

1. Specialist: These are advanced degrees in which one will be able to have deeper insights of the chosen discipline of the Bachelor’s Degree. The eligibility for this degree is that one must have completed the Bachelor’s degree in the same discipline.

2. Conversion: Through the conversion degree program one can change the choice of subject or stream to pursue postgraduate/master's education.

3. Research: Through the research program one can take up research in a certain area of interest under a program or course mentor.

During the course of the postgraduate study, one can work legally part-time (up to 20 hours a week) or full-time (up to 40 hours a week) by way


Full-time graduate students registered in a degree or diploma-granting course are allowed to work on the campus of the institution at which they are registered without the need for employment authorization. Also, through the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, international students at some publicly-funded educational institutions work off-campus while completing their studies. In order to undertake temporary work such as internships during one's graduate study in Canada, one will need to obtain a work permit. The post-graduation work program allows graduating students to gain work experience in their field of study.


Most international students who graduate from Australian universities apply for Independent Skilled Migration. This is a special category for International Students who have undergone any of the Australian study programs.