Applying for F-1 Visa

Student visas are issued for the period it takes the student to complete his/her course of study.

The F1 non-Immigrant Student Visa

For people who want to study or conduct research at an accredited U.S. College or University. In order to qualify for getting F1 Visa, you must be accepted by an recognized university as a full time student. You must also prove the sufficient proof of financial support during this stay in United States. F-1 Visa holder cannot work in the United States except for the training required by the course.

Required documents:

  • Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status. You will need to submit a SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) generated form, I-20, which was provided to you by your school. The I-20 form must be duly signed by you and the official from your graduate school.
  • Duly filled online non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.
  • One (1) 2x2 photograph as stipulated by the requirements.
  • MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee.
  • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt.

Additional documents you should be prepared with:
  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, GRE® Test, GMAT® Exam.
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your parents or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and livig expenses during the period of your intended study.
  • For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, proof would be - income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements.
    If you or your sponsor owns a business, proof would be business registration, licenses, tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.
  • Proof of documentation showing that you intend to return to your home country after finishing your course of study.
    For example, proof of property or assets in the home country - documents of immovable properties such as land (including agricultural), house etc., proof of immediate relatives in the home country, or letters from future employers etc.

Application Fees

For F visa category: $160

The Visa Interview

When you arrive for the Visa interview, you will be asked questions behind your purpose travelling to the United States, what you intend to study, and when you intend to leave.

The consul officer may also ask you questions related to performance in your under-graduation or standardized tests. For example, What was you percentage, How many backlogs do you have, What is your TOEFL score etc.

The consul officer may also ask you questions related to how you plan to fund your stay and education in the United States.

Although the length of the interview will vary from person to person, interviews are typically very short, lasting no longer than 15 minutes - in fact, only two to five minutes in most cases.