What is a GATE exam?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level examination conducted to assess the overall knowledge of the applicants in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture and also post-graduate level in Science.
GATE qualification is a must for getting admission into post graduate programs (Masters and Doctoral programs) with MHRD and for access to Government scholarships /financial assistantships in the fields of Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture and Science. The GATE qualification are also being used by Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) for their recruitments. Various prestigious institutes in India who do not provide MHRD scholarship, consider the GATE score for their admissions. The GATE score can also be used to get admission in some reputed foreign universities with scholarship.
GATE is an examination conducted together by the following two main institutes, on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB) - GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), ( Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee)
The exam is conducted on a rotational basis every year. The GATE exam score is valid for 3 years after the announcement of the results.
From the past few years, international students from the countries of Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates and Ethiopia have been allowed to appear for the GATE exam.
GATE 2024 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Science and Technology(IISc Bengaluru) . The Gate exam is conducted on a rotational basis every year. The GATE exam for 2023 was conducted by IIT, Kanpur.
All the information pertaining to GATE 2024 exam is available on the following website: https://gate2024.iisc.ac.in.
The examination will be conducted in 30 subjects (also called papers). The examination in these 30 papers is conducted as an online computer based test.
The format for the online test is such that, students will be given a set of questions where they have to key in numerical answers using the virtual keyboard. The remaining questions will be of the multiple choice question (MCQ) format. The candidates will be provided on with an online virtual calculator.
Two – Paper combinations paper is also conducted.For combination of subject please find it in the link https://gate2024.iisc.ac.in/two-paper-combinations
New changes adapted in GATE 2024
The two main changes implemented in GATE 2024 are as follows:
A new paper on Data Science and Artificial Intelligence has been added to GATE 2024. Students applying for GATE 2024 can also opt for two papers from the prescribed combinations. The GATE 2024 Application Fee has been revised. Female and reserved category candidates have to pay INR 900 (late fee - INR 1400).
The important dates of GATE 2024:
- The registration for GATE 2024 started on 31st August 2023.
- The last date to submit the application form and pay the fees is on 29th September 2023. This date was further extended to 13th October 2023.
- The facility for application correction has been open from 7 th to 11th November2023.
- The facility to make corrections in category/ PwD/ Status/ Gender/ Dyslexia and other similar learning disabilities will open from the last week of October to the first week of November.
- The mock test papers for GATE 2024 are will be available soon.
- The Admit card should be downloaded on 3rd January 2024.
- The GATE exam 2024 will be conducted on the 3rd,4th,10th and 11th February 2024.
- The answer key will be released 21st February 2024.
- The results will be declared on 16th March 2024.
- The Score card will be released from 23rd March 2024.
- And finally the counselling process starts from the 1st week of April 2024.
GATE 2024 Application form correction:
IISc Bengaluru has opened the window for the application form correction. The GATE application correction is a one-time opportunity provided by the authorities to make corrections in the details provided in the form.
- The corrections/ changes can be made only in a few fields such as Candidates name, date of birth, parent’s name , educational qualification, gender, category, PwD/ Dyslexia and exam city.
- Documentary proofs need to be provided to validate the changes made in the GATE 2024 application form.
- Candidates may be required to pay an additional fee based on the type of corrections made.
- Any changes in the GATE application form can be done only by logging into their official website – gate.iisc.ac.in.
Once the GATE application form is submitted, it is analyzed based on the details mentioned in the GATE information brochure. If any mistake is detected, the candidates are informed of the same through their registered email IDs. Only those who are notified of their mistakes can apply for the form correction.
An additional fee of ₹750 has to be paid for making the changes mentioned above. Please note that the fee paid earlier will not be refunded.
Only certain mistakes can be rectified in the GATE application form. For those mistakes that cannot be rectified, the candidate will have to apply again with a new Email ID and phone number. As candidates can make only a limited number of corrections in the application form, they need to fill the application form with utmost care.
Once the GATE application form is submitted, candidates can check the status of their form at the official website, GOAPS.