Admission Criteria

Institute/Group of Institutes Selection Process Special Features
IIMs (20 IIMs ) CAT + Own GWPI process
  1. Most IIMs have shifted to Written Ability test from Group Discussions as a part of the written test (therefore the name GWPI)
  2. Most of the new IIMs conduct a common WAT-PI process.
  3. The weightage of academic background and work experience varies from institute to institute and year to year.
IITs CAT + Own GDPI process
  1. In general, IIT Bombay shortlists candidates above around 98 percentile followed closely by IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur etc. Each of these institutes have a different selection criteria. IIT Bombay for instance assigns 20% weightage to CAT score, 44% to WAT-PI and 36% to profile.
  2. Most IITs only consider candidates who are engineering graduates/those in final year of graduation. However, IIT Madras and IIT Delhi allow candidates from non-engineering background as well.
SP Jain Institute of Management & Research CAT / GMAT + Own Group Interview Process
  1. The Institute issues 2 separate call lists, first it releases profile based calls following which score + profile based calls are issued – the profile based calls are sometimes issued even before CAT results are announced.
  2. The institute asks for your preference in specialisation at the time of applying itself.
Institutes conducting their own exam (IIFT, TISS, MICA etc.) Own exam + GWPI process
  1. IIFT conducts the entrance test in November, where as the results are announced in December. The GWPI process is usually conducted in Jan-Feb.
  2. MICA gives some weightage to CAT and conducts its own exam as well called MICAT. The shortlisted candidates are given a preliminary selection status at the end of the GDPI process – Selected, Waitlisted and Rejected.
  3. TISS admits candidates for a range of "Master of Arts" programmes. The institute follows a very unique pedagogy with up to 3 internships. TISSNET and TISSMAT are entrance exams conducted for their MA in HRM and LR program. They are usually conducted in January/Feb.
Institues for specific category of students (NITIE, SIOM) NITIE – CAT based, SIOM – SNAP Based
  1. All these institutes offer admission only to engineers. The cutoff for NITIE is 97+ overall percentile with around 90 percentile sectionals for the general category students.
Maharashtra state level B-schools MHCET/CAT
  1. 85% seats in these B-schools is reserved for Maharashtrians,where as remaining 15% are open for everyone.
Institutes with religion based reservation (Loyola, Rizvi etc) LIBA-XAT + GDPI Rizvi-CMAT, CAT, XAT
  1. These are minority institutes, they reserve 50% of the seats.
  2. Rizvi: Admission for 50% seats is carried out by DTE Maharashtra and remaining are filled by the B-school authorities
Group of institutes conducting an exam (SIBM, SIIB, SCMHRD etc) SNAP + Own GDPI process
  1. You need to apply separately to each college you wish to join.
  2. A few of these B-schools also conduct Group Tasks as a part of the GWPI process.
  3. Generally SNAP based institutes are the first to complete their process of admission and release the final results.
Specialisation based B-schools Various
  1. HR – XLRI Jamshedpur, TISS

List of B-schools accepting GRE scores in India

Reservation policy of B-schools in India