The duration of the CAT 2018 examination will be 3 hours.
The test will contain the following sections:
- Section I: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Section II: Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Section III: Quantitative Ability
Candidates will be allotted exactly 1 hour for answering questions in each section and they will not be allowed to switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section. Few of the questions in each section may not be of multiple-choice type. Instead, direct answers will have to be typed on the screen. Test takers will be allowed use of a basic onscreen calculator for computation.
The scoring scheme for Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQs) is as follows:
- Each correct answer is awarded 3 marks.
- An incorrect answer fetches -1.
- No marks are given or deducted for unattempted questions.
For questions other than MCQs, 3 marks are assigned for ‘correct answer’ and no marks for ‘incorrect answer or no attempt.
Tutorial to understand the format of the test will be available on the CAT website from 17 th October 2018.